This is my reference list of Contractors, Vendors, Manufacturers and other interesting placed on the web concerning ammonia refrigeration. If I have had experience working with the contractor and have some thoughts on them I’ve added a comment to their listing. Feel free to let me know if I’ve missed anyone!
Incident Report Resources
- Australian Transport Safety Bureau – Transport Incidents for Australia.
- Hellenic Air Incident Investigation Board – Air Transport Incidents for Greece.
- Ireland Department of Transport – Transport Incident Reports for Ireland.
- Japan Transport Safety Board – Transport Incident Reports for Japan.
- New Zealand Transport Accident Investigation Commission – Transport Incidents for New Zealand.
- Singapore Ministry of Transport – Transport Incident Reports for Singapore.
- Transportation Safety Board of Canada – Think of it as the Canadian NTSB
- UK Air Accidents Investigation Board – Air Incident Reports for the UK.
- UK Marine Accident Investigation Board – Marine Incident Reports for the UK.
- UK Office of Rail Regulation – Rail Incident Reports for the UK.
- US Chemical Safety Board – I’ve read every report they’ve put online. Excellent resource!
- US Coast Guard Casualty and Safety Reports – Incident reports from the US Coast Guard. I’ve read most of these – interesting how so many accidents can be traced to the same human failings.
- US Health Safety & Security – Various accident reports from General Industry and construction.
- US Mine Safety & Health Administration – Plenty of good incident reports here. I’ve read most of the big ones but there is plenty of reading left to do.
- US National Transportation Safety Board – I’ve read every in-depth report they’ve put online. Excellent resource! Great way to learn about human factors, cascading failures, resource management and failed SOPs.
- US NIOSH Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation – Various fatalities across the US are analyzed in these reports. Mostly general industry but plenty of lessons to be learned here.
- US Nuclear Regulatory Commission – Various incident reports from the Nuclear Industry.
- AHRI (Air-conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute)
- Air Liquide NH3 Info – A great resource on NH3 basic properties.
- ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers) – Creators of the ASHRAE standards. A great resource.
- DHS’s CSAT – Information on the Department of Homeland Security’s Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standard. If you are subject to PSM/RMP then you need to look into this.
- EPA’s RMP – Information on the EPA’s Risk Management Plan program.
- IARW (International Association of Refrigerated Warehouses)
- IIAR (International Institute of Ammonia Refrigeration) – Creator of the IIAR standards and bulletins. A great resource.
- International Institute of Refrigeration
- International Refrigeration Consortium – Based out of the University of Wisconsin Madison. Their Cold-Front magazine is free online and worth the time!
- OSHA PSM – Information on OSHA’s Process Safety Management program.
- RETA (Refrigerating Engineers and Technians Association) – Join your local chapter. It’s worth the cost for the education you’ll receive at the regular meetings.
Useful Sites & Education
- Cold Systems– Runs a blog on ammonia refrigeration and PSM. Seems to be inactive as of late.
- Garden City Community College – The original ammonia training program. I’ve never been there or attended any of their trainings but they are highly regarded.
- IRC Risk & Safety Blog – Interesting thoughts on large incidents.
- Lanier Technical College – I’ve never been there or attended any of their trainings but they are highly regarded. Hansen holds their valve trainings here now.
- MATCSA – Midwest Ammonia Training Center. A division of Sherrill & Associates. They provide ammonia specific training.
- NH3 Recruiters – A jobs board for ammonia operators.
- WMI – A good source for training.